Library: Cundy’s Harbor Library
Library’s Town: Harpswell
Library Type: Public
Position type: Non-MLS
Job Title: Library Director
Deadline: January 15, 2020
Description: General responsibilities: The Library Director serves as the chief executive officer of the Library under the supervision of the Library Board of Directors. The Director is responsible for the functioning of the Library as a whole, with specific responsibilities including staffing, budgeting and budget control, programming, recommending policy adjustments to the Board, and working cooperatively within the community to further the Library’s programs and services to meet community needs. Cundy’s Harbor is a small working harbor community, located in the Town of Harpswell, Maine. The Library’s annual budget is $44,000, accomplished by fundraising. The current collection size is 5,742 items. There are two staff positions and several volunteers. There are currently 6 Board Directors. This position serves ex offcio on the Board.
1) Manages and supervises library operations to maintain a friendly, welcoming atmosphere and to achieve goals within available resources, including budget and personnel.
2) Consistent with applicable laws, regulations and policies exercises control over hiring, firing, discipline and scheduling of employees of the Library, as well as volunteers, contractors and seasonal personnel, providing effective direction to staff to assure the quality of public service.
3) Prepares a variety of studies, reports, and related information for internal and external decision-making, and for regulatory and fiscal purposes.
4) Provides leadership and direction in the development of short and long-range library plans.
5) Provides professional advice on library matters to the Board and helps to structure Board meeting agenda.
1) Assures fiscal soundness of library operations.
2) Prepares the annual Town budget request for Board review and approval, and administers the budget, including cost control activities.
3) Directs the operation, maintenance and improvement of the Library’s physical facilities and equipment.
4) Seeks and writes grants.
Programs and Collections:
1) Performs effective collection and program development and management to provide materials and programs appropriate for the needs and interests of Library patrons and the community.
Community and Collaboration:
1) Coordinates Library programs with area educational, recreational and work programs, and with local organizations such as schools, historical societies and other community-based groups.
2) Maintains Library liaison with other local non-profit organizations, including Curtis Memorial Library in Brunswick and Orr’s Island Library in Harpswell, as well as with Federal, state and local officials.
3) With support from the Development Director and staff, performs effective community relations and promotes library programs through community presentations and other means.
1) College education or equivalent combination of experience and training, which provides the required knowledge, skills & abilities.
2) Web-based technology and social media competencies.
3) Must be willing to pursue and attend staff development activities and train as a notary public.
4) Demonstrated ability to multitask and prioritize amongst competing responsibilities.
5) Strong interpersonal and communications skills, oral and written.
6) This is a part time position. Current Library hours are T & Th 10-4pm & Sat 10-3pm. This position is for 12 hours—6 hours each Tuesday and Thursday. Saturday hours may be required, when needed to cover extra busy times during periods of high program demands or staff absences. The ability to be available to work flexible hours or at short notice is desirable.
7) Physical agility and strength to bend, reach, lift and carry up to 35 lbs.
8) Successful candidate must pass a background check.
Apply in writing to the CHL Board Secretary, Dianne Chilmonczyk firstname.lastname@example.org. Include resume and the names of three references.
Salary: $12-$14/hr depending experience
Related Website: https://www.cundysharbor.me
Start Date: 2019/12/1
End Date: 2020/1/15